My life right now could be compared to that of a balance ball. Their purpose is great, but the achievement of the actual balancing can be... well, a challenge. Especially when working on those abdominal muscles, but that's a whole other story. Even when you find yourself steadied, feet off the ground, arms out to the sides -- the ball still wobbles and you feel kind of shaky. One small move, and you could be completely off balance again.
What do you do when you want it all? Balance: spiritually, mentally, phyiscally. Balance in the home, in marriage, in personal life, as a mother, as a family member, as a friend, and as a citizen. Has anyone mastered balance in all these areas at one time? Are your feet off the ground for good, or do you still rock from side to side on the balance ball of life?
I mean, seriously. Most days it's a challenge to eat my "balanced" breakfast (what, picking at the kids' Cheerios and snacking on a leftover enchilada isn't balanced?) let alone coursing through my days with all my T's crossed and I's dotted. I am not seeking perfection by any means, I just don't have time for that, to be honest. [grin]
But it just seems the days when I am on the 'upswing' in terms of feeling some order, the next day it's down again. I am all for the ebbs and flows of life, I just crave what seems generations before us had going on in their lives. I think as the years have passed, the influx of filling our schedules and "keeping up with the Joneses" has outweighed more of the precious life moments. Not to mention the insane amount of media that, although can be used for good, often drowns out half of ones day. Laptops, cell phones, blue tooth, iPod, iPhone, this application, that application, Twitter, Facebook, email, voicemail... blogs...the list goes on.
Perhaps balance, and I think the peace that accompanies that balance, is a lifelong pursuit. So, for now I will take it one step at a time... maybe starting with my first meal of the day.
2 comments:
very good... lots to think on.
Oh the balance beam called life. I can relate very much with this post. Sometimes, it feels like we could get it all done IF we only had more hours in the day.
Great post!
Post a Comment