4.20.2010

how sunscreen saved my day

The day of our home inspection, I am running around the house like crazy. The home is meant to look pristine and remind the buyers why they made an offer in the first place... so on top of all the "usual" primping I was doing to the home, I felt the added pressure to clean, organize, and make order of other 'unusual' places. 

One of those unusual places was generously staring me in the face as I walked down the stairs that morning. 

I should back up by a couple days though. Our little Broderick loves to make trouble. Really, he just looooves being one and a half years old. Who could blame him? 

Anyway, he really has a thing for getting into our pen/junk drawer. (By the way, I despise having a 'junk' drawer and really want to eliminate that in our future home!) One day during his adventuring, he came across a nice, fat, black permanent marker. He then decided to liven up one of our WHITE kitchen drawers with that lovely shade of black. I tried scrubbing it off with a baby wipe (those things are amazing) but when that didn't work, I thought to myself I'd get back to it in a day or two. I was really just expecting to paint over it, but later noticed the paint we used for the cabinets was, well... less than usuable. 

Well then comes the morning of the inspection and I notice there is even MORE marker on the same drawer and in a more obvious spot, no less. I know what you are thinking, "remove the marker, already!" And of course, I did, but he seems to find something new and exciting and the opportunity to do even more crazy things with whatever he finds. Oh the brilliance and eye-level of a toddler! :) 

So, in my effort to beautify our home and not let their focus fall to this newly markered white kitchen drawer, I do what I know to do best in these situations. And that would be, Google it. I then see several suggestions... rubbing alcohol, toothpaste, spray sunscreen. I figure sunscreen sounds easy enough and I give it a go. I am happy to report the marker disappeared! It was like a 5th grade science project all over again and part of me wished there was more marker to erase. 

Let me just say, I am happy to know this tip. I have a feeling it will come in handy once again in the future. 

1 comment:

Terra said...

thanks for the tip! I'll use that in the future as my children have the same knack for re-decorating!