11.26.2008

The Griswolds have arrived. For real.

So, the house next door to ours happens to be a rental home. Four families have come and gone in the four years we've lived here. But no neighbor has been as festive as the current. I'm telling you... 4th of July is more than just American flags. Easter? Bunnies and Life-sized crosses. Halloween? Green and purple lights strung on the roof top, spider webs, pumpkins, you name it. For Harvest (combined with) Thanksgiving, we've seen turkey and leaf flags, scarecrows, and even more pumpkins.

But about a week ago, a testing of sorts began. One afternoon, the father of the house and his teenage son pulled out one of those large, inflatable snow globes with snowmen inside. I was nervous they were about to mix holiday themes and jeopardize the groove of the seasons... luckily it was only a test run. I am telling you, these people are serious about festivities. I kid you not, more than half of their garage contains holiday decor boxes. I kind of look forward to three weeks before any mentioned holiday, because the whole family stands in the lawn with loads of boxes and Rubbermaid containers, sifting through for the holiday lawn and house garb.

Anyway, we left this morning to do some shopping, and about 3 hours later when we returned we saw the ghost of Clark Griswold in the form of our neighbor. For the reals.

These are the kind of people that have Santa's sleigh next to baby Jesus in a manger. That kind of decorating "magic", if you will. And if I am being totally honest? I love it. They literally have a border of lights surrounding our "combined" front yards so all their goodies can be on display loud and proud, in the safety of their property lines. So, upon arriving home, my husband jokingly tells them they should really start embracing the Christmas season. Truthfully, these people have enough Christmas spirit for our whole cul-de-sac. The best part? We were invited to their initial "lighting ceremony" the night of Thanksgiving. Even better part? I SO totally can't wait. Trust me when I say: pictures to follow! This is one for the memory books, people!

2 comments:

sara, darling said...

love it. while i can't bring myself to go overboard, i get really excited about people who can :)

Brenna said...

Oh, yes. Agreed! Although our one string of white lights seems pretty measly next to them. It's enough for us, though. :)