11.07.2008

Sticky Situation

Okay, forgive my cheesy prelude... but here is my dilemma.

I have to wait a whole four years to wear my "I Voted" sticker. Due to the fact I was not about to stand in a 2-hour line with a toddler and a baby who loves to nurse, I went and voted early.

[Side note: What an honor it was to stand in line for 2-hours, and how sad not everyone sees voting as a privilege!]

Anyway, I was obviously excited to cast my ballot, but I was really excited to receive my proof in the form of a sticker! As I left the building, after proudly exercising my civic duty, I carefully held on to my sticker and walked out to the car. I then put the sticker in front console of my car. The front console (versus the one in the middle) is a sacred place in my car. It's like that special box you had as a child, (or a metal, red suitcase, in my case) that you keep all things (okay, maybe not ALL) precious and meaningful. I know exactly what is in there and where to find what I need. Sure, I have the inevitable sunglasses (upon sunglasses, upon sunglasses) and maybe an expired insurance card tucked on the side... but at least I know what's in there!

I then started my car and placed the sticker (still on it's sticky-safe paper) on the side of an envelope in the console. I just have this "thing" about what I place where, and with a very visual memory, had no concern I wouldn't see the thing again.

Well, November 4th rolled around and unfortunately, I did not have access to my car that day. We had some car issues with the hubs' car, so he was driving mine that day. He picked me and the babes up for lunch and my first goal was to reach in the console, rip that sticker off the paper, and slap it on my shirt to wear proudly for the remainder of the day.

I kid you not, when I say my heart sunk because I could not find the sticker! I was so sad to discover my sticker was no longer in the place I specifically remember placing it. How disappointing is that? Thankfully, there is a bigger picture here, and my 2-hour wait wasn't completely in vain [moment of silence]. But still... can't a girl have some excitement over a voting sticker? I say, "yes"!

I am still in search of the sticker and have some lingering thoughts about a possible sticker snatcher. It could very well be. I mean, think about all the cool, free things people with the "I Voted" sticker inherited that day, not to mention pride for their country. Coffee, ice cream, sandwiches... food is my second language. [Mmm... I just re-read that and am now craving the combined: ice cream sandwiches]. I am certainly sounding American now, huh?

So, 2012, I await you with open arms in the hopes for my second chance of earning my treasured sticker.

Until then....

{My apologies for the over-usage of the word "sticker" in this post. There isn't a myriad of other word choices. Although I did use the thesaurus feature to write: myriad. I could've said "countless, multitude, or many". But myriad fit the bill.}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... you're positive about your placement of the sticker just like you were positive that your keys were not on the ledge? That kind of positive ;).?

Brenna said...

No. In fact, I am even MORE positive about my sticker! The keys... that is a true mystery. Don't think I don't know you sneakily placed them back on the ledge right before I walked in the door... bo-bo-li.

Anonymous said...

Oma Goshhh... you are redic. I hadn't touched your keys since the night before, and you didn't look when I told you! Oma Goshhh.