12.30.2008

Making it count

When I think of how quickly it seems time passes, I know I am not alone. As a little kid, it seemed time stood still some days. You'd wait and wait to become "that one age" and then once you made it, you couldn't wait for your next birthday. There were those great milestone ages, like when you become an official "double digit" at the ripe age of ten. Then comes the anticipation of a driver's license, graduating high school, and looking on to "what's next". Suddenly, life turns into this fast forward mode, and it all seems to go so fast.

My personal fast forward button became truly elevated when I started having kids. I know there are a few heads nodding with me out there. But, seriously, isn't it crazy?! It's not like my kids are in school or even with a full mouth of teeth, but geez, time isn't stopping any time soon.

So, I've been thinking about this pretty recently and figured it was an appropriate thought given this time of year. And that would be, learning to value and appreciate each season for what it is. I have moments when thinking about the turbo pace of life and I feel panicky and am looking for the pause button. But, why? I can't change the pace of life, so I might as well embrace it.

Instead of wishing my two year old was still that tiny, sweet newborn, I look into her bright eyes and addictive smile because next thing I know, she'll be inching her way to year 3. Or when I change my son's clothes and realize his body is way too long for those pajamas that just fit a week ago, I'll just smile and accept it. Choosing to embrace each season for what it is will only make life that much sweeter and precious. That mindset makes me want to turn off the television, throw my laptop out the window, silence my phones, roll on the floor and laugh with my kiddos. I mean, why not?

2 comments:

Irene Joy said...

Well said. Why not.

Renae said...

Love what you had to say here; WHY NOT!!