Today I had a familiar feeling of when I was a child. It was reminiscent to a moment I had in a toy store as a little girl, walking down the doll aisle and seeing the first black Barbie doll I'd ever seen. She was different. She was beautiful. I was captivated by the uniqueness of that plastic doll sitting inside that cellophane covered box. That year, my mom purchased me what was called the "Asha" doll. She was one of my favorites.In a more grown up way, I had that same rush of emotions again today as I watched two little girls walk down the Capitol steps followed by their mother, waiting for their father who would take a solemn oath today.
Take out the actual political aspect of party lines and policies, and you have a day marked with true breakthrough in American history.
I am proud to be an American today for many reasons. Two months ago there was reason for debate, and maybe even some squabbling over what's right and who's wrong. But today is a new day. Today I choose to support the leader of my nation, a nation I am proud to call my own. Today I embrace the change for the present, and the future. Today I think about what kind of world my kids will live in. Not only will they grow up not knowing any difference about the existence of computers, cell phones, and instant messaging, but they will grow up in a world where the so-called limits of color and race cannot determine your possibilities.

2 comments:
Well said Love.
Boo Yah seems appropriate here
Post a Comment