5.10.2009

Reflections: Motherhood

Today is the close of my third Mother's Day, celebrating as a mom. Technically, it could be my fourth, but I am counting since my children's births.
I was reflecting on motherhood today and was overwhelmed with the joys and the immense responsibilities it [motherhood] possesses, all at once. Daily, I am thankful for the lives of my children, and as often as it comes to mind, I thank God that he chose myself and my husband to be the stewards of their precious lives. I am often reminded that although they are under our guidance, we are merely STEWARDS, and the intensity of the thought overcomes me.

Anyway, I am so grateful to have the role of "mom" over my life. I've known some people who are hesitant to claim their “identity” as a mom, for fear of losing “themselves”. To me, it's an honor. Now, to be clear, I know I am more than a mom alone, and am thankful for that, but I can't deny this wonderful, powerful role that has been given to me. I hope many out there can agree with the sentiment.

I love being a mom for more than just the smiling faces that greet me in the morning.
I love being a mom for more than the drool-filled kisses and whispered, "I love you's."
I love being a mom for more than the countless giggles and playtimes.
I love being a mom for more than eyes that gaze into mine for acceptance and trust.
I love being a mom because it has taught me so much about myself. Motherhood has not only taught me, but forced me, to go out of my realm, to go beyond the reaches of myself, and to do it with passion and love (and grace, and patience, and, and, and...).
I love being a mom because it reminds me that motherhood is not about me at all. Motherhood is not meant to fulfill me or complete me. I really think those are added bonuses when you have children as precious as mine (my apologies, but I have to gush). It's actually quite the opposite... it’s about helping my children to find their reasons for fulfillment and completion.
I love being a mom because children truly are the "mirror" for who I am as not only a mom, but a person. Each word, each action, each memory, is etched on their little hearts, and often mimicked or repeated. This aspect alone challenges me every single day, as it should.
I love being a mom because I know although seemingly possible for every woman who should so desire, it does not always come without challenge and often heartache. I am so blessed and thankful for the 'ease' we've experienced in our desire to be parents.
I love being a mom because although the unique challenges associated with each child vary, there are so many relatable and hilarious moments of life that bond us with each other, mother to mother. And, I love that.
I love being a mom because I believe in godly heritage and so strongly desire to create and pass on a new wave of love, commitment, honor, faithfulness, integrity, and unity to my children and my children's children.

This list has potential to go on and on.... but these are just some of my reflections today. I am so thankful to partake in the day that celebrates and hones in on one of the most life-giving roles capable.

In addition, I am so blessed to have the mother God gave me. With risk of sounding like a Hallmark card, she really is more than my mother, she is my friend. Something I can only hope and pray for my children to say of me one day. Love you mom!

4 comments:

Irene Joy said...

So good, and I agree with you very much.

Brenna said...

Thanks, Irene. Your kids are blessed to have you as their momma. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts. Love it. You're awesome.

And your hair is totally great!!!! LOVE it!

Brenna said...

Thanks, Emily!!