On her last night of being two years old, I took Breckyn and Broderick out for dinner to Chick-fil-a and followed it up with a little playtime in the restaurant's play place. To be honest, we are not a family that frequents fast-food play places. Let's be real, they're kind of gross and sometimes the other kids there can just be a bit too aggressive. For my liking, yes, but especially when it comes to the tender heart of my sweet Breckyn.
Anyway, I thought I'd offer the idea to Breckyn because it wasn't entirely too busy on this Friday night, and I do like to encourage her (and I) to step out of our comforts in order to grow and stretch. Even when it comes to nasty play places. Ha! Well, she said she'd rather have ice cream than play at the play place (now that's my girl!), but ended up saying, "all right!" when I suggested ice cream to follow.
So we enter the play room, she takes off her shoes, and with a grin and a shy, yet eager demeanor she enters the giant narrow tube of steps leading upward. Timidly, she waits at the inside of the bottom step watching the other children climb in, up, out, and all around.
Breckyn is one who prefers to take it all in before taking the plunge, herself.
Finally, the space around her clears and she takes her first climb onto the step. Then up another, and then another, and then, with some desperation... "Mommy!!!!" It started getting crowded, AND, she couldn't figure how to get herself down from these giant steps without a tinge of fear in her. So, there I am pressing my face against the cracks on the exterior trying to encourage her and tell her to turn around, "turn around!!!" Finally, another mom in the waiting area tells her little boy to help the little girl that's stuck (Breckyn) and pull her feet down. Well, he does with some care, but not enough that she doesn't bump her head on one of the other steps. I try to ignore that I saw that as to not draw more attention to her instantly dramatic moment. She makes her way down to the bottom step once again and was about to crawl back up when I pulled her aside to tell her if she's going to be in there, she really has to go for it, just try it out, and if she doesn't want to, it's fine... we'll go. "Okay, mom, I can do that."
Well this set of siblings was in and out of the tubes multiple times and she made herself 'quiet' friends with them following their lead. Again, up the first step, the next step, and next thing I know she's at the top of that tubing peering down at me from the circular plexi-glass smiling, waving, and exclaiming, "Hiiii mommm!" I can't say my heart didn't skip a little mommy beat seeing her embrace her hesitations and climb all the way up there. I look down at Broderick who is in my arms at the moment, and back up... at the empty window. Where did she go?
Through all the cracks in the play system, I am looking for her candy-patterned-leggings and pink socks, and don't see a thing. I figure she must be making her way down the steps once again. Well, next thing I know, I see her pink socks, her leggings, and now her huge smile as she made it all the way through the narrow tubing, across the tube "bridge," and down the twisty slide!! See, she's never done that before. No, never. Parks, yes. Play places, no. [Those play places are a whole other world of crazy for her. I can't blame the child, either!]
I couldn't believe it. Her eyes were beaming and she shoots out of the slide looking straight into my eyes with this mutual, "I know, mom, I can't believe it either, but I did it. I am a big girl. I am so proud of myself and I know you are too," kind of thing. I am so not embarrassed to say my eyes welled just a tiny bit with tears. THIS was a big moment for Breckyn... okay, for me, too.
She ran over to me with such force that I took a step back when she clung onto my legs and said with pride, "Hi mom!" Wow. "You did it, Breckyn," I said. "You really did it, honey, what a big girl."
Who knew such a magical moment to close out her second year of life would've happened in a Chick-fil-a play area. Not I. But I am honestly so proud of my little girl.
I think we'll have many times in the coming years to experience those up-the-tubing-and-down-the-slide moments that will perhaps leave both of us in a little bit of awe.
Tonight I said goodnight to my precious two year old, who will never be two again. I have to say this year was almost a little more bittersweet than saying farewell to the first year. Mostly because I am not just saying goodbye to the year, I am welcoming the years of my "little girl."
2 comments:
So sweet! Way to go, Breckyn!
Awe, so sweet! Made me tear up a little there!
Post a Comment