11.11.2009

Precious moments

Generally speaking, most nights, my husband does the night time routine with our son, and I do the routine with our daugther. Every one gets their nigh-night hugs and kisses, but it just works easiest this way for us right now. We each have our groove with the whole thing. 

Well, Breckyn's routine goes a little somehting like this: 
  • Acquire nigh-night necessities (i.e. blanky)
  • Go upstairs and brush teeth and do the potty thing
  • Giggle and run into room to get pajamas on and wiggle around impossibly
  • Daddy comes into room to give kisses and hugs to Breckyn, and momma gives kisses and hugs to the Bubs, and he (the Bubs) also tries to "kiss" his wiggly sister with his open mouth. Precious. 
  • Pull long three-year-old hair into pig tails or pony tail and pull down the covers.
  • Breckyn finds treasured "corner" on her favorite blanky and snuggles in bed for her books.
  • Read 1-3 books
  • Lights off, momma sings favorite songs, says prayer
  • Kisses, hugs, and "I'll see you in the morning, love you" 
Really, it's not that intense. The entire thing takes 20 minutes... 30 at the most, depending how much wiggling, giggles, and chatter take place between each of these segments. 

Anyway, there are some nights I am just so darn tired and ready to have time alone or time with my honey that I will see what I can skimp on. Often times, those are the "one book nights." Other times I see if she lets me skip one of the songs. Everything else is pretty much non-negotiable. Especially the wiggle and giggle part, if you ask Breckyn. 

The other night I told her before I read books that I was only going to sing one of her songs. I mean, come on, my voice just wasn't feeling it that night and after all the words I used that day, I felt I was approaching my limit. "Okay, momma," she says. Well, the books are over, and lights are shut off, and she requests the titles of both songs. In my own personal mommy debate I internally battle with myself whether to stick to my guns or just sing her songs. 

Then it kind of hit me as I sang her nigh-night songs, yes both of them, with a tinge of tears in my eyes. 

She won't always want me to sing. One day, she'll probably say something along the lines of, "Mom, I'm too big now. I don't need you to sing to me." And that night, my heart will probably break. 

Same goes for when she wants to be held, or read to, or when she'll let me finger my hands through her soft hair, or any of the things that may often be taken for granted when we just "want to get through it... right now" 

Since that night, I decided it really is all worth it. Life is but a vapor and the last thing I want to regret are those 3 minutes I didn't just 'give in' to a little tender-hearted three-year-old that just wants to hear the comfort of the songs that send her fast asleep. It's all worth it. 

And for the record, I will not be sharing what those songs are. They are a rite of passage into our household routine and they are songs just for Breckyn. The kind of thing where if anyone ever quizzed Breckyn on who her mother is, she could recite the words of these songs (as she does already) to confirm it's all true. ;) 

So today, choose to savor, choose to make the time, and embrace the moment. I know I will. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. So true how we need to cherish each moment and sometimes in the routine of life, it's just hard to remember. Was just reminded of that again today myself, and now this post has imbedded it more firmly in my brain. Thank you. Have a good night.

pk @ Room Remix

Nick and Brittney said...

Made my day... Thanks, Brenna. :)