I have a tiny Post-It note taped to the wood trim by my front door. It reads, "Please do not ring the doorbell. Thanks." I never answer the door unless I am expecting someone. It's just a rule for me. Even when I am expecting someone, I normally inspect the premises (no lie) before answering. I go above and beyond the peep hole, people. Why did that sentence just feel inappropriate? Hmm. Anyway, this little note becomes very helpful, even if I forget it's there (in all it's sticky-note-cheesiness), when people inevitably come to the house during nap time. Sales people, door to door people, two guys in white shirts and black ties who hop off their bikes people... you get the gist.
Well the other day, I was expecting a service person to come check our television. Of course, he is scheduled to come smack dab in the middle of nap time. I remind myself the note is up and wish I were sleeping on the sofa rather than waiting for previously mentioned service person.
Then... the doorbell rings. I can't help but shake my head and mutter, "can you not read the sign on the door??"
I peek through the door and see the service person shaking his head and smiling at his mistake. I open the door and he apologizes. Twice. He then left the house an hour later apologizing again saying how service people like himself just can't read, in attempt to lighten the mood.
It really wasn't a big deal as "no children's nap times were harmed during the ringing of the bell."
We've all had days like that, I think. I like days like these. The ones that remind us we are all human and we all do those things we just don't mean to do from time to time. It makes a person like me who often trips when I walk and make weird faces when I don't mean to, feel a little better about my 'very human' self. Relief.
4 comments:
Nice post. On the more practical side - you could just mimic our doorbell. The wind blew one of our outdoor decorations down hitting the doorbell in the process. The doorbell button is now gone. And although the bell still works, people are hesitant to puch on the mesh of exposed wires! Ahh... not classy, but works like a charm! :)
This makes me giggle, sounds like something I would do....and maybe have done in the past... :) Oops!
Tape a cap from a two liter bottle of soda over the door bell if you have the round kind (that's what I have). Or they sell those little boxes that snap over the door bell at home depot for the rectangle shaped kind. :)
So true. I'm sure he really appreciated that you didn't get upset with him too!
Post a Comment