8.01.2010

color me happy

I bought this cheery, whimsical, woodland shower curtain (and coordinating towels) for Breckyn and Broderick's bathroom. I love the colors, but have been wanting to add a little pop of color to the bathroom walls. I'm not quite ready to dedicate my time to painting the walls, or commit to a color, so instead I painted these canvases and am loving the result! 



The close-up shots were my "inspiration trees." 

I have never painted anything art worthy, besides the kid-friendly paint-by-number (seriously). So, when I realized how much fun it was to do these, I started looking around my house for other areas of inspiration. Who knew a paint brush and some lively colors could be so relaxing when the rest of the house is asleep! 

I had a few canvases I picked up two years ago that I knew would fit the bill for this project. I picked up three at the time, for a 50% discount, I believe. They were maybe $4.00 a piece. I had a couple leftover craft paints from parties I had hosted, but needed to add some to my collection. They were .67 cents a piece at Hobby Lobby. Wall art that cost me about $11.00 total! 

Finally, I needed to finish the edges off, as these were less expensive canvases with staples all around the edges. My mom gave me these Dollar Tree ribbons a few years ago when Breckyn was born and I had used some of it for hair bows. The remaining amount I had just so happened to fit the edges perfectly before the roll ran out! It's as if it was a project waiting to happen! Anyway, I am very pleased with the result and how they give that perfect touch to their childlike bathroom. 

9 comments:

Ken and Brenna said...

You're so good babe... so good.

Terra said...

You have amazing talent Brenna. I would have thought you bought the paintings with the shower curtain. :)

Unknown said...

Oooh! I love!! Great job! You should find some linky parties and share your talent :)

Thea said...

These are awesome!!! ETSY??? :)

Alicia said...

Nice work Bren, I am thoroughly impressed. Look at you go little ms artist. And that's pronounced
arrr-tiiist.

The Painted Rooster said...

Super Cute. They look just like the type of art you would pay $30 a piece or more for at Target.

Coley said...

I bought this same shower curtain. :) We painted our bathroom the orangey color in the curtain. I love your trees. I paper pieced an owl that is similar to the one in the shower curtain but may have to give painting canvases a try. Thank you for the idea!!

Katie said...

Wow! I'm impressed at how much these look exactly like the original! Great work.

Hayley said...

I spied that shower curtain at target today and immediately loved it - was able to tear myself away though before it got thrown in the basket - it was a close one.