12.30.2010

25 cent wake-up call

One day last week, it was another early morning around here. Well, for me that is, not necessarily the kids. I will admit, there are days (okay, okay, most days) that I am exhausted in the morning. And, not being a morning person to begin with is not incredibly helpful either. In addition, Baylor has been struggling with ear infections, teething, and random wakings in the middle of the night. So what happens when a baby isn't sleeping? Exactly. Mom and Dad are up all night, too.

Anyway, enough on the backstory of my tiredness. That morning, I put on a movie for Breckyn and Broderick to watch in the living room with their own snack bowls and drinks and the instructions to "not move off this couch cushion" in the hopes that if nothing else, I could sneak in a half hour more of half-sleeping. I know, I'm kind of lame, but that's not what this posting is about! Anyway...

Maybe 20 minutes had passed when I hear tiny footsteps coming up the stairs and creeping over to my side of the bed. Broderick in all his sweetness peeks around the corner of the bed and through my glazed over, poor vision, lacking-my-contact-eyes, smiles and says, "hi mommy!" I roll to my side and greet him with a pretty weak smile.

Next thing I know, he grabs a quarter that was sitting on the window sill next to my side of  the bed, sticks it under the side of my stomach and says, "be a horsey, mommy!"


He rode the penny horse at the grocery store the day prior and probably thought if there was any way to get me up and at 'em that day it would be to jumpstart me with some loose change. It definitely made me laugh and put a good spin to being woken up... especially with a cold quarter first thing in the morning!

No comments: