12.14.2010

Christmas Mantel

A title so creative, it almost hurts!

Well, this year, our Christmas decor has been pieced together slowly but surely. I'm still feeling the 'newness' of our home and am learning as I go. We felt like updating the ornament bulbs on our tree with some inexpensive sets...mostly in a soft blue...with touches of silver everywhere else on the tree.

With that change, the mantel needed a bit of an update as well. Typically, in years past, it's been pretty simple with greenery and touches of the perfect Christmas red. But with the cool and soft blues, we needed something that felt wintery and icy, yet soft, too. The creating went underway about two weeks ago. We had our Autumn decor still on the mantel when the tree was put up and it just wasn't right!

So, what does West Elm packing paper, vintage ice skates, and a white feather boa have in common?

Answer: Our 2010 mantel! Hooray!!

A sprinkling of white lights, silvery/sparkly things, and a white boa impersonating fluffy snow, start things off. 

The full effect: Added to the greenery, boa, lights, and silver... a twiggy cone tree found at Hobby Lobby last year, ice skates from my mom, and a couple jolly snowmen. Then, {framed} the intentionally crinkled bear image, via West Elm's packing paper from my new tumblers. Call me before you throw away your packing paper...I'll probably find a use for it! ;)

I have some remaining West Elm paper, which I think I may circle cut and use as garland somewhere else in the living room. Why not? I love the shade of green and the triangle tree print. Festive and modern!

Hello little snowmen, curly, glittery blue thing, and silver splash of happiness. You make me smile.

It makes me happy every time I look at it. But, it's beautiful a night with the battery charged lights. There are no outlets near the mantel! :(

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Ansel Adam print. Nothing says Christmas like a flourishing oak tree, right? Well, I have to say, I took advantage of the print and frame mostly for color and for layering. Now stop looking at it and gaze at all the glitter and that crinkled bear.

3 comments:

destiny said...

I'm coming from the Nester...I love that you used skates on your mantle! Very pretty!

jennykate77 said...

Stopping by from The Nester. Your snowmen are so cute! Love the white...and the skates! I've been wanting to find a pair of vintage ice skates forever!!

Just my cup of "T" said...

I like it Bren... very different from my recent post! You have the style in the fam!! :)
This is so weird... I thought I owned mom's old skates. Thought they were in one of our garage 'sporting' boxes! So that's where they are!! Who knew?? (I'm not actually going skating right now.. but I guess if I do - I'll call you!!) haha :)