12.05.2010

lovely trimmings

I've always loved beautifully wrapped and adorned Christmas presents. I love creative touches that really speak to the value and expectations of opening a lovely wrapped present. This Christmas, I am particularly drawn to nature and elegance, combined. I love the juxtaposition of the two. They make a great couple. Plus, that is what speaks to me when I think about the heart of Christmas. Baby Jesus born near dust, dirt, animals, and nature...but filled with glory, grace, and majesty!


via West Elm
Anyway (back to my slightly superficial post... at least after the last sentence), I am totally inspired by the tree and trimmings that West Elm has to offer this year. In fact, I'd love to take most of it home with me. I was in their store a couple weeks ago and was closely examining the cardboard animals pondering if I could create my own. I came to a quick conclusion that it would not be worth my time, frustration, or money, and I'd leave that to the ornament making artist.

Also, I noticed these lovely wrappings on Design Mom the other day and again, fell in love. I've been drawn to burlap this last year, and I think this would be a perfect way to wrap up the year... no pun intended. Well, okay, maybe it was.

via Jenny Liu

I feel like my overall designing hopes and dreams... which I suppose I am including Christmas wrapping into the word "design"...is to keep things basic and simple and then to add glam or color to as feelings or preferences change. (Think: neutral sofa + colorful/wow/interchangeable pillows... or basic black tops with your "pop" of a scarf.)

Since we've moved into our new home this year, I have a lot of "dreamy" ideas in my head...but I can't say they are all THERE...yet. I know it will take time. I'm okay with keeping my dream books and ideas for now.

If nothing else, I'll start wrapping my presents with some Kraft paper, burlap, jute, and maybe some glitter thingys and pine branches from the back yard. Inexpensive and free creations are right up my alley... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about wrapping! I love it to be glamorous. I buy things at the end of the season for the following year... usually at 75% off. :-)