5.08.2011

Thinking of mom

Moms are the best. We wouldn't be here without them!

{Yep, that's my family. The clowns. We had a lot of fun together.}
I sit back so amazed at times that I am actually "here"... in motherhood. I'm called "mom, mommy, and mama" by three little ones. I am now a part of the sweet, yearly event, Mother's day. It still takes me by surprise. I am so honored to be a mother to my babies. Even the four year old is my baby. Will she always be? I hope.

What has my mom taught me? Well, a lot. For today, I'll share a few that stick out.

-Don't rely on someone else to get the job done.
My mom is a big DIY'er. Not just in project form but in responsibility form. But, I feel this adage (if you will) serves me in two ways. One: there are circumstances where I hear her voice saying this and it challenges me to have the drive and will to get things accomplished. On the flip side, it has been a lesson for me in marriage where sometimes the opposite could not be more true. We are a partnership, my husband and I, and I've had to rely on him many times... and be able to let my guard down in a sense saying, "I trust you with _____". Good lesson, both ways.

-Always look for a good deal.
My mom was a super shopper by force, I believe. Meaning, she was met with less than desirable circumstances once upon a time and had to make ends meet and provide for her three ducklings. That said, my mom has made me a bargain shopper almost to a fault. ;) Something may be a good deal but I question it so much thinking, "would my mom say this is really a deal?" I love having the bargain shopper gene in me. It's a good mix with the part of me that loves shopping at thrift and 'real' stores, alike.

-Spontaniety keeps life lively.
I can think of several wonderful times in my childhood where my mom's spontanaity would bring the biggest smiles on us kids. One day she came home from work, threw down her purse, and said, "pack your bags, we're going to the mountains!" Other times, it was as simple as building a fort and camping out on the living room floor with sleeping bags on a Friday night. So fun.

-Faithfulness is key.
This is one that my mom didn't really sit down and teach us about, but like the others, more of a general way of living. She always paid bills on time. She always had us to the right places at the right time. She made dinner nightly. She worked for the same people for years and years. She helped plant our family in a church that we attended for over two decades. No matter what you do or where you are, you can't beat loyalty and faithfulness. They make a great pair and they bring the right people in to your life.

**I can't forget she also taught me how to clean a home. I'll never forget her having us three kids gathered around the toilet and her holding a toilet brush in hand giving us probably our first 'cleaning tutorial'. Also, how to pray, and reminding us that we should not let the sun go down on our anger. There are so many things that I remember about my childhood and words that were spoken which challenges me even more to be the best example to our kids that I can possibly be. **

{She let us do things like this. And we loved her for it.}

Mom, thanks for all you've done over the years, but more importantly who you are. You are complex, wise, and kind, among many other virtues. I love you today and every day!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I love the walk down memory lane and all of the moj-ness in your post. great read :-)