7.13.2011

Summer soaking

I am always so excited when July 4th rolls around. Really though, it's more of a bittersweet feeling. Not only does July 4th signify that half of the calendar year has been spent, but I get a tinge of apprehension feeling as though I better soak up the remainder of summer before I see Halloween costumes and Christmas trees on the shelves come August.

This year, the family was experiencing the joys of a stomach bug on our lovely Independence day which left us with little room to be, well, independent. In short, we needed to stay home and have a low-key afternoon and evening. Our little girl ended up curled on the couch around dinner time and between that and our fire ban in the city, it was a very quiet evening.

That said, I feel like I need a re-do of that day. Anyone want to join in and humor me? I mean, can't we celebrate America's birthday a little belated? Besides, I am sure we can find a ton of patriotic garb and decor at more than half off now!! ha.

Here is a short list of remaining summer wants and needs:

-More days poolside. Some for just myself, some with the kids, and some with my honey. 
-S'mores on the back deck. Yeah, we purchased a fire pit this year. Did you read above about the fire ban? So, this one is a want for sure, but I'm not willing to pay $600.00 to the city for roasting a couple marshmallows. 
-Camping at the Sandunes. I would love to do this one! Brings back childhood and highschool memories. I think we'd have a blast, regardless of a little (or a lot) of sand everywhere. 
-White water rafting trip with my sister, brother, and their spouses. Family, you read that right! Expect an email SOON! 
-Family ice cream dates at sunset. 
-Hiking and nature walks. 
-Get a blow-up pool in the backyard. Every year my kids go nuts for that, but this year we're a little behind. I like it because everyone can be in the water and I don't have to have my super hyper tension mama mode on as much as I do at the local pool. 
-Family photos. I am so sad to say we haven't had intentional (as in professional, or somewhat professional..:) photos taken of our family since before Baylor joined our family. Terrible! 
-Winnie the Pooh movie. Okay, so this isn't very outdoor and summery of me, but I am seriously excited about the Pooh movie coming to theaters! I think I may actually be a tad more giddy about it than my kids, and definitely more than I've let on to my husband. Can't wait! 

I am sure I'll find more to add to my unofficial list, but for now I think that's a pretty good start. Until then, maybe I'll go hunt down some poppers so I can get my 4th of July fix. Have a happy day!

2 comments:

Meg said...

Thanks for your comment on chasing my dreams and other forms of art. You found me from Chatting at the Sky, came over to my blog, left an encouraging comment, and I really appreciated that. I couldn't figure out how to reply, so this is the only way to let you know how encouraging that was. Thank you.

Meg

Brenna said...

Meg, I am not sure if you'll see this but thank you for stopping over here. I am grateful if my words helped you at all. Keep pressing on!