#5 - I took some time for myself earlier this year and took two different photography courses at the Fine Arts Center downtown. I learned some new things and was refreshed on some topics I already knew. More importantly, I enjoyed the 'break' from the norm around my home, and the challenge of learning something new. It could have been a cooking class, or basket-weaving, but the idea of time for my brain, not as a mommy, or a wife, just me, was quite refreshing.
#4 -This year stretched Ken and I in our outside relationships. Many of our dearest and closest friends (okay, all of them) moved away. Whether it was a couple hours north or south, or straight across the U.S., it was a hard time for us. However, I think even though we often talked how we should "get back out there" in terms of the marital couple dating world (ha!, but seriously...) I think we grew closer as a couple and had a lot more conversations and times of closeness that can't be taken for granted. That said, we are looking forward to cultivating new friendships for ourselves and our children, as challenging as that may be in our season, and mostly are excited for renewing the 'old' ones.
#3 -Broderick turns a year old and Breckyn turns three! The first year birthday is always a milestone, and it was actually quite alarming to see how quickly his first year passed. It's times like that which make one reflect on the year and trying harder to not miss a thing. It's all too precious to take for granted! Breckyn turned three, and so far, this has been the hardest birthday for me. It felt like she truly said farewell to those small, tiny, little girl days and is becoming smarter, funnier, and cuter by the day. It was a bittersweet birthday because I have to be a good mom and let her grow, but I can't deny there was a part of my heart aching, knowing that I can't stop it from happening! Pretty soon we'll be managing preschool and dance recitals and playdates...wow.
#2 - Faithful God we serve. Of course, this could pretty sum up every number on every post, but since I am breaking things down here, this is where it lands. ;) It's no secret the economic situation has been a little rough on people. We never knew what Ken's job would look like from the minute he started working there. A sales job is not one of ease or pleasure... and often, desire, but God has rewarded Ken's tenacity, longevity, faithfulness, and drive with his position at work. We've been astonished by our financial blessings and some new opportunities that had opened up for him outside of his sales job.
While I am on the topic of my husband... he isn't so bad, either. Really? He's pretty darn great and I still love sharing life with him. 2010 will be the 10 year mark from when we met, and we've been married 6 of those 10 years. Happiness.
#1 - The pregnancy test. I know, it's pretty much all that's on my mind these days. The baby, that is. But I will never forget the week where I was not sure what was going on with my body and almost went another whole week to wait it out until I just couldn't take it anymore. I took a pregnancy test, left the bathroom, and Ken wanted to be the one to check it. I really thought by the look on his face it was just a false alarm (to which I was going to say... "I thought so!") instead he bursts into a grin and tells me, "Weeeeeee'rrrrre pregnant!" I don't know why I was taken so off guard, but I was. And I continued to be for about 4 months. Thankfully, it has all sunken in by now ;), and we are excitedly and expectantly waiting to meet our third baby.
There are certainly more aspects of the year that are worth writing down or taking note of, but these are the ones that come to mind as I quickly breeze through the calendar of our last year in my mind.
I welcome 2010 with open arms and can't wait to see what lies ahead, knowing that in all things, God is in control and this is not our final home!
On a lighter, not so dramatic, eternity talking tone.... Happy New Year!!
3 comments:
You are one blessed woman!! :) Blessings to another wonderful year ahead for you and your family!!
That's a wonderful list! We are praying for a very full and blessed year for you guys!
Thanks, ladies! So sweet.
And thanks, Em, we'll take your prayers!
Post a Comment