3.18.2010

Grab a bookmark

...because this is a long one... 

Some days, I think, are worth documenting. That way, in a couple years (or, maybe days) you can look back and think, "Hey, I survived that." And sometimes, that's a great feeling. So... here was my day yesterday. 

Well, my day started kind of early... or late, depending how you see it. I didn't actually make it into bed until 2:45 or 3:00 A.M. I was up with the baby in the lower level of our house... nursing, then pumping. Then, I decided to bake that cake [note: previous post] for my honey to take with him to work. I also decided it would be a great time to pick up and surface clean the rest of the house while the cake was baking. I had this miniature feeling we might have a showing the next day. 

The reason for that feeling? Well, I had plans. Any time I make plans that take me away from my home, chances are better than not that my plans must change so that the house can be in perfect order for the showing. Oh, and I also cleaned out majority of our minivan, too. I felt accomplished in these wee hours. Yet, very, very tired. 

With a grand total of about 4 hours of sleep, I awoke unprompted by anything or anyone (think: children) around 7:30 A.M. I had a strange sense of being fairly rested, which is great these days, and decided to hop in the shower before I would hear the tiny voices calling my name from their rooms. Well, about 20 minutes later, I realized I fell back asleep as I heard Breckyn at this time, ready to start her day. I still had my shower, minus the hair washing. Clean hair, schmeen hair! 

My plans were to take the older two to my mom's house for a couple hours while I could hit up several stores and run errands I've been needing (and wanting) to run without any potty breaks, snack needs, venturing off into store aisles unknown, and the list goes on... 

The morning, if I may say so myself (and I can), was going pretty smooth. See, I cherish the late hours for all that I can get done. Including having their snack/necessities bag packed, clothes ready, etc. So, really it was just about having myself to get ready, nurse the baby, feed breakfast to the kids, dress them, bathroom run, diaper change, and be out the door come morning time. Although it was about 30 minutes later than I had hoped, we were still out of the door by 9:30. 

So I get to my first destination: Starbucks (for obvious, sleepless, reasons) and head off to the next store. I find what I need and am feeling pretty good about the start of my day at this point, and am excited to check things off my errand list with ease. No more than about 15 steps into my next destination, and my cell phone rings. 

It's our realtor's assistant. She calmly says she's just 'checking in' with me, then proceeds to inform me that there are two different showings pending for that morning and no one (meaning, ME) had confirmed. Well, that was news to me! See, the agents have an outside company arrange the showings to be the liason between agent, seller, and buyer's agent. It's worked out well in the last few weeks, but today, there was a serious glitch! We are supposed to be informed within a two hour window prior to the showing time, yet someone wanted to show our home in about 25 minutes and I had received zero calls at home and my cell phone. Um... no. I was about 25 minutes away from my house.. just started the easy, breezy shopping, and my kids were at my mom's house. This was starting to not feel so great. 

I briefly explain my circumstance to the assistant, not really wanting to cancel a showing, but also not wanting my house shown in the condition it was in... namely, the laundry area. Yikes. So, she calls the buyer's agent to see if we can reschedule. Nope. They want to see it this morning and they want to see it soon. Well, if nothing else, that might be a good sign. Oh, and by the way he said they would not be rescheduling another day if this morning wouldn't work out. Nice. I ask the assistant if she can call him back and buy me an extra 30 minutes just to spruce things up. She does, and I am off... racing back up the road, a good 25 minutes away to make some home-magic happen.

Through blood, sweat, and tears... minus the blood part, I destroy, (and by destroy I mean, clean) the stragglers of the house. Feverishly wiping the countertops, ppening window shades, straightening the bed linens, and tossing piles and piles of desperate-to-be-laundered clothing down the stairs. According to the new time frame that had been set, I had about 28 minutes remaining before they'd show, which was more than enough to conquer what I needed to. Well, 3 minutes later, a car pulls up and I hear a "helloooo?" being called out from my opened garage door. My first thought... "You've got to be kidding me." And, "nooooo." In turbo speed, I toss the laundry down the next set of stairs along with two bags of trash and give the kitchen counters a quick dash of cleaning spray. Then I hear knocking on the front door. Out of breath, with sweat beads now on my forehead, I answer with the biggest fake smile and say, "Hi!" to the realtor. He asks if they can come in, as I debate asking him if he knows he's super early, and I ask him for just two more minutes. He assures me no one will look at any clutter or mess, they just want to see the home itself. But, sorry, I know I'd still be looking at someone's this or that lying around even if I was going to see just a home. Okay, okay, he says, "we'll all walk sloooowly to the door." I think I am being humored now. And, I seize those two minutes like nobody's business. Counters: done. Laundry & trash: out. Pillows: fluffed. Lights: on. Me: Wiped out.  

I hear them all walk in the front door as I am tossing the final things into the unknown of the garage. They walk around the corner and the realtor thanks me and asks if I want to share anything in particular about my home. Um, really? Okay! So I try to add in what has appealed to us as I am panting in between breaths with a full trash bag in my hand. Then, I'm off. Well, almost. 

I back up the van (with Baylor inside) and am about to drive down to my mom's to get my kids when I realize there is another showing following this one and I still hadn't vacuumed or wiped the sticky hands of love from the windows and mirrors. Both pretty big deals when it comes to trying to impress strangers! So I circle the neighborhood and consider pulling over to nurse the baby knowing he's going to wake any second for some mama food. Not until a good 10-15 minutes later did they leave the house that I pull back in the garage and run around like a mad woman once again trying to get it all beautified. 

Seriously sweating this time, I turn the air vents on full power in the van and head down to my mom's house. Knowing my mom had other commiments that afternoon, I pretty much raced back down another 25 minutes to get there in time.... or as close as possible. I jump out of my van, she jumps out of her house, and I sit to nurse the baby (who was my little champion today) while the kids watch Curious George for a few more minutes. 

At this point, we're safe to head back home where the 2nd showing has (supposedly) already happened, and the kids can eat (late) and take their naps. It IS quite refreshing to walk into a show ready home, and knowing we had done all we needed to do for that day (minus my would-have-been glorious morning out), I could kind of relax. Today? Yeah right. 

While making lunch, I decided to whip open the sliding glass door leading to the backyard hoping we can enjoy a brief, yet beautiful sunny day lunch outside. Broderick's excitement got the best of him, along with what I think was a stumble over the rug, and he fell down the 2 concrete steps, lands smack dab on his forehead, then FLIPS over on his back, hitting the back of his head too. My heart was in my throat and my first thought as I am speed-praying was, "Please let this not be 'emergency room' worthy." Oh my word, I felt terrible. Absolutely terrible. The kind of terrible where you just want to wrap them so tightly in your arms and apologize for any awful things you've ever said or done to them... you know, like time outs and 'no-no's' and just cuddle away their pain. I wanted to cry with him, but I knew it wouldn't help. By the time he settles down and I catch a glimpse of his growing bump on his forehead, their mac&cheese is getting kind of cold on the counter. 

So, I make a picnic lunch on a blanket in the downstairs room after the traumatic experience of trying to step outside. About 5 minutes into that, the realtor's assistant calls once again informing me that there was major miscommunication and the supposed 12 o'clock showing agent never actually... showed. Ugh. She still wants to come and insists she can come 'now.' Thankfully, our agent sympathizes with the need for small children to have naps, and just having learned of the concrete head crash, says she'll see if this agent can reschedule. We're now on for 4pm. Phew. 

Lunch is over. Kids in bed. Baby is nursing once again. And I remember I haven't had a thing to eat today. Only coffee in the morning. No bueno. So I grab a quick bite and hear Breckyn waking from her sleep. We have to be out of the house again in 30 minutes and Broderick is still fast asleep. I get the other 2 ready and in the car so I can literally whisk him from his room, open his shades, bust on the lights, and get out of the house as soon as I hear a peep from him. I abhor waking my children, and would have if necessary, but life is soooo much better when they wake on their own. 

With 5 minutes left in the countdown, we are all in the car, seat-buckling occuring. The agent pulls up and I pull away from the drive. 

I decide we'll make our time away worth it and do some grocery shopping at Target. Well, Broderick wasn't quite awake yet... he takes a while to fully arise... just like his mommy. He was acting grouchy, which is never a good combination when they've already experienced some trauma or owwies. I was extra on-guard because it seems a lot of times trauma+grouchiness= more trauma. Thankfully, we avoided that combo all together. No seriously, thank-full-y!!!

We made it through the aisles in good time and headed home. As soon as I pull into the driveway, Baylor starts to wail and the kids watch Finding Nemo as I choose to sit in the van and nurse my baby in the driveway with some good 'ol fresh air coming through the windows. Ken calls and says he's on his way home. It's all coming to a close, and I couldn't be more relieved. 

So, that is the non-nutshell version of my wild and crazy day. Mix the events with a mix of thoughts, feelings, and emotions I had reeling through my mind, and it was pretty intense. Nothing that a good "how was your day?" convo with my husband, and maybe a few m&m's couldn't remedy. 

I don't want a do-over, just a fresh start. So, today, here I come... :) 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're amazing! That WAS a crazy day! Aren't you thankful that they're not ALL like that?! Good job, Mommy :)

Thea said...

Girl...that was television worthy. Lots of love and wishes for a peaceful snow day tomorrow!!

Ken and Brenna said...

YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!

Just my cup of "T" said...

Geepers! Crazy stuff I missed! Glad you survived!