About ten years ago, I attended a weekly mentorship meeting, for one semester. If there is one snippet of wisdom that I walked away with from that meeting it would be this: "Don't save your china for a special occasion." The heart behind that statement is pretty simple: don't wait for tomorrow when you can make today count.
This thought goes through my head periodically, but I was reminded of it in the wee hours the night before my daughter's fifth birthday party. There I was, once again, in the kitchen trying to prepare last minute details for the food to be served, the table settings, decor, and on and on. This is typical for me when my "baby's" birthdays come around. I find great joy and value in celebrating my kids' day in a "big" way. We certainly don't go as "big" as some out there, but we go "big" for us.
I started having these thoughts about wondering if I was going overboard, or setting my daughter up to expect these kinds of birthdays....and then, what would the other moms think, is this just too much? A smattering of late night thoughts that started to deter the original joy I was feeling.
So, I stopped myself. I took control of my thoughts and reminded myself that wonderful snippet of wisdom. Why save the joy, the excitement, the special touches for a "noteworthy" birthday of the more 'memorable' ages? We are not promised tomorrow, is really what it all comes down to for me.
{I would like to add, that making something memorable and special does not have to break the bank. I think that's a lie and often an excuse. One that I find myself using in areas of making our home feel like home. Read just about any post from the "Nester" and you'll see what I mean. But that's a whole other blog post.}
This is my gentle reminder to myself make today my 'china day'...everyday. Life is fleeting. Time is short. People are what matter. Not things. Often times it's those things that show others their worth, and that's what it came down to for me.
We celebrated my sweet girl. I think she felt the joy and love from all those around her, and that is something that can never be replaced.
I choose to use the china.
2 comments:
Great post! thanks for the reminder! I needed this today!
we're having a "princess tea party" for my daughter's 4th birthday. that cake is beautiful!!!
Post a Comment