11.03.2011

hope prevails

Fear. Ugly, ugly fear. Its entrapment is gripping, unbearable, and unnecessary. Why do we let fear creep in to our minds? Why do we allow the absence of love to entertain our thoughts? These have been some of the questions I've had over the last week or so in some recent moments of pondering.

Insecurity is friends with fear. Wouldn't you agree? In fact, I'd say they are likely best friends, or potentially blood related. Insecurity has always been unattractive to me. I've seen it in several forms, but mostly in those closest to me: friends, and even family members. The thought of seeing someone I dearly love doubt who they are and who they are meant to be truly saddens me.

I suppose you could say my realization of some personal insecurities I was struggling with added to the depth of that kind of sadness. It made me question what brought me to that place, and better yet, how I was to set myself free.

I've found my insecurity revolving around relationship, self-worth, and my place as a woman in this world. Wow. That all sounds so much more involved than I would actually like to admit to, but there you have it. I'm feeling strangely vulnerable and strangely content in my admittance. With all these factors combined, my insecurity gave itself a crown when reminding me I've said farewell to my 20s and I should certainly have it all figured out by now. Of course... right? Clearly, I'm being facetious. Regardless, that is a portion of the battleground in my mind.

We, as Christ followers, as listeners (and doers - yes?) of His Word are called to take captive of the thoughts in our mind and make it obedient to the Lord. {II Corinthians 10:5}
For me, this looks like a pause, a yielding, a moment to simply stop.

In that moment, His peace came to me and offered this hope:

As humans; as error-making, living beings, we possess feelings of self doubt, of self worth (or the lack thereof). breathe. But, we are not self made. And it came again. We are not self made. We are made by God, in His image, as His delight. And might I add, we were made lovingly, not with carelessness or disregard. He fashioned us with reason. He knit. He formed. He artistically designed. {Psalm 139:13}

-- It's so hard to fathom and comprehend, but I had to let it purge my soul and refresh my spirit.--

If we are made by him then it is simple, we have worth.
If we are operating in him then it is simple, we can be free of doubt and filled with faith.


If we really, truly believe these things, that changes everything.






No comments: