Only for fun, {because I LOVE where I live and feel so blessed by my home town and my state,} I am going to list just a few reasons I would survive in what is potentially my very own make-believe lifestyle of Southern women. Love y'all.
![]() |
| Julia Roberts and Sally Field starring in Steel Magnolias |
2. Southern charm. There is something about walking through a grocery store minding your own business having the sweet lady behind the bakery counter say, "honey, you need to try this Snickerdoodle cookie," and then offers the whole cookie as a 'sample.' True story. Okay, I know Southern charm goes beyond free cookies, but it's the first that came to mind, and I'm a sucker for the charm. And free cookies. But, my rule is clear, which may disqualify me for Southern living, but you must be at least 10 years my senior to call me any term of endearment. Unless your my friend, Elisabeth. Then you're vetoed and you can call me sugar pie as you please.
![]() |
| Vivian Leigh starring in Gone With the Wind |
![]() |
| Mary-Louise Parker and Mary Stuart Masterson starring in Fried Green Tomatoes |
5. The monogram obession. Am I using too strong of verbiage in my adjectives? My apologies. Let me just remind you that in my mind these are all good and wonderful things. But you can look at just about any home in the south and find a hand towel, satchel (yeah, I said satchel), baby blanket, maybe even the dog's bed with a monogram. I secretly love this and may have to incorporate it into my not-midwest-but-labeled-midwest-home.
![]() |
| Reese Witherspoon (as Melanie), returning to her Southern roots in Sweet Home Alabama |
7. The food. Oh, the food. Paula Deen and Ree Drummond are not heart healthy but so delightful, and the food is killer. Literally? Maybe. But I do love it. Delicious food is such a weakness for me. Thankfully, I do believe my palette has enough varied desires in that grilled salmon and sauteed vegetables are equally delicious, but this post has nothing to do with what may or may not be 'right.' :)
I think the essence of comfort food comes large in part from the South. Fried chicken, mac and cheese (my weakness), sweet rolls. I've never had a plate/bowl/dish of grits, but I am sure there has to be some delight there as well. I have heard there's a right way and a wrong way to serve grits. That's probably equivalent to how many 14ers you've hiked... or maybe not at all. It's the last category and my comparison is struggling. Bless my heart.
I hope you've enjoyed my indulgence and imagination of the Southern living. Now, don't you want to go watch Steel Magnolias and Fried Green Tomatoes? I do.




2 comments:
i didn't know you were a closet Southerner! go on and tease that hair, sister!
I'm so with you...but girl I backcomb and hairspray daily :) not ashamed...break out the bed head giiiirrlll!
Post a Comment