All before lunch time, I....
--Cleaned up a spill of blue food coloring off carpet. Which also included food coloring mixed with water in a spray bottle that was all over a portion of carpet and wall. Actually, this occurred at 6 o'clock in the morning. Double whammy.
--Fed breakfast to three hungry wolves. I mean, children.
--Played referee to multiple arguments or disputes.
--Stopped and cleaned up two bloody mouth episodes. It's called the frenulum, you know. That tiny piece of tissue that connects the gums near the upper lip in your mouth. FYI, it bleeds when torn. A lot.
--Matched up a huge pile of mismatched socks. They each found their lobster. Hey, I am not discounting any accomplishment from yesterday. That was a decent sized accomplishment. ;)
--Put out fires. Well, one fire. Literally. Scenario: Broderick, candle, important receipts. Lesson learned. Crisis averted.
--We capped the night off by having four extra kids stay with us during and after dinner, for a total of seven kids ages 5 and under.
Bedtime felt oh so sweet last night.
Seeing it on 'paper' doesn't feel so bad. It probably helps that I gave myself a full night of rest before recording such events. Had I written it yesterday there may have been excessive amounts of exclamation points and bold text. I mean.. INTENSE!!!! ;)
In the midst of everything, my three year old found it necessary to redecorate and adorn the entry wall. At least it added a smile to the day. For the record, that frame normally holds seasonal decor. So, in a sense, I guess this may have been appropriate for the day.
Although there weren't many relaxing or unwinding moments during the day, the brief minute I took to check Facebook, the first post I saw was from my friend Annie. It was a timely reminder and changed the outlook for the rest of my day. I'll share it below:
God's mercies are new every morning and His grace is sufficient for me today. I think sometimes I try to do lots of days worth of things in one day, when all I'm required to do is today's work. When I focus on that, I have so much peace and I am really able to say that His grace is totally enough. I'm reminded of how God provided manna for the Israelites everyday. He didn't provide a week's worth in one day, but each day He provided exactly what they needed. He does that for us. He gives us exactly what we need for each day, which causes us each day to rely on Him and look to Him. In this I can truly say that His yoke is easy and His burden is light.
Such a great reminder, and so freeing to say, "this is all I can do in this moment." Sure, I had laundry to tend to, a lot of cleaning I needed to start and finish, and a shower would have been lovely. But in that moment, caring for my baby's injured mouth was all I needed to tend to. His grace was enough. The carpets may have not needed another shampooing, after all I just did it a couple months ago for another spill of some sort, but HIs grace is still enough. All the things I wanted and needed to tend to were slowly slipping away in the midst of everything else that was sudden and relatively urgent, but His grace was still enough. He blesses me with new days, new mercies, and grace for today.


No comments:
Post a Comment